5 Best Bug Zappers: Why You Should Get One?
What are bug zappers?
Pesky bugs are everywhere, especially when you go outdoors. They are so irritating and would make you feel uncomfortable; they start by eating your food (just the way birds eat your planted seeds, you have to know how to stop it!) and eventually make things worse by feeding on you.
Good thing there are bug zappers, they use light to attract insects, so you, your family, and your garden can be worry free from those disease-carrying bugs. A bug zapper, more known as an electronic insect-control system or electrical-discharge insect-control system, Get bugs into it and kills them with electricity.
In this article, we will break down the parts of a bug zapper, learn how this device works for the benefit of your family and your garden. We'll also look at some other best bug zapper devices that may make your time outdoors more pleasant.
Product Comparison Table
Inside of a bug zapper
The first bug zapper was made in 1934 by William F. Folmer and Harrison L. Chapin. Although there have been many alternations, most of it in the areas of safety and lures, the basic look of the bug zapper has remained the same.
Bug zappers are simple. There are only 4 basic parts of the bug zapper:
- Housing - Exterior casing that holds the parts The housing is usually made of plastic or electrically grounded metal and may be shaped like a lantern. The housing has a design to prevent children or animals from touching it.
- Light bulb(s) - Fluorescent light that attracts insects, usually mercury, neon or ultraviolet (black light)
- Wire grids or screens - Wire meshes (usually two) that surround the light bulb and are electrified to kill insects
Transformer - Device that electrifies the wire mesh, making the 120-volt (V) electrical-line voltage to 2,000 V or even more. The increased voltage supplied by the transformer needs least 2,000 V, is passed across the two wire-mesh grids.
These grids have a tiny gap between them, about the size of a typical insect (a couple of millimeters). The light inside the wire-mesh network lures the insects to the device (insects are more attracted to ultraviolet lights because the flower patterns that attract insects are revealed in ultraviolet light).
As the bug flies toward the light, it enters the space between the wire-mesh grids and completes the electric circuit. High-voltage electric current flows through the insect and kills it.
You often hear a loud "ZZZZ" sound when this happens. Bug zappers can bait and kill more than 10,000 insects in a single evening.
Bug zappers do not pick which bugs they kill. They just bait bugs who are attracted to ultraviolet light. Mosquitoes, on the other hand, are not attracted to ultraviolet light.
Indoor and outdoor zappers
When you want to get rid of bugs both inside the house and in the garden, you might have in mind purchasing a solar-powered zapper with a weatherproof body.
Obviously, one single device of this kind is not enough to protect all areas at the same time, but placing a couple indoors and outdoors will do the trick.
Despite having a small area, a solar zapper gives you freedom of worries since it requires no outlets and no electricity.
To the contrary, if you purchase a unit that changes from UV blacklight to harmless LED in the time you need to, then you can bring light to areas that are inextensible like the stairs.
1. Racket bug zapper
A bug racket with batteries is great against almost every type of bugs, even though the current may not always get kill larger bugs. Even if that is the case, look for a bug zapper that features a safety button, just in case the kids get a hold of it.
This type of handheld bug zapper works just fine as long as you are willing and able to bring the hunt to the pesky bugs.When it comes to the beauty of your garden, not just its protection, the best bug zappers are those that are similar to the vintage street lamps.
Their models have a tray where it traps the dead bug that has been zapped dead, you still should keep the bug zapper away from you or your food as to keep the bugs away before getting fried.
2. Dimmed scented bug zapper
A bug buzzer with a dim, 40 watt light is enough to draw bugs to it, especially if it features a scent lure. This type of bug zapper is very useful against mosquitoes, but beware that some zappers may give off an irritating smell (coming from both the substance used and the electrocuted dead bugs). What you can do is hang it far away from where you sit.
3. Automatic timed bug zapper
To keep your electricity bill at a low you can use an incorporated programmable timer. You can set it when to start up and when to shut down, and is very effective in saving energy.
These come in many outputs for every need, with large ones that can cover a land area of one hectare to a small one that you can use like a tennis racket. Just be sure to get a hang of the zapping noise when dead bugs start to fly directly into them.
Why you need a bug zapper in your garden
- You need to be comfortable and relaxed. You will be able to invite friends over without the worry of them being eaten alive by those pesky and sometimes dangerous bugs.
- You can let your kids play in that beautiful garden that you worked so hard for know that they are safe from any viruses brought by the bugs.
- Bug zappers are not dangerous. If you might have some doubts that they have side effects, you should know that they are completely safe and you do not have any other reason that you do not have to use it. Making it safe is the grill it has to keep you from burning or accidentally touching the electricity.
- It is so easy to use. All you need to do is find a spot and plug it in, let the bug zapper do all the work for you.
Our Top Five Best Xmas Laser Lights Choices 2017
1. TESCCI Solar Powered Bug Zapper
The Tescci solar powered bug zapper has been made with two functions. One is to kill all those bug that have been bugging you and the second is to be a night lamp for your beautiful garden.
Best thing about this bug zapper is that it is solarized and you do not have to worry about your electricity bill sky rocketing through the roof.
View More Detail
- 2 FUNCTIONS AND 2 MODES: Double Functions as a night light & bug zapper.
- SOLAR POWERED AND WATERPROOF: The Tescci outdoor mosquito killer is made for you to leave outside so it can charge during the day and will turn on at the evening time. It also has no problem working on rainy days.
- NO SUNLIGHT FOR DAYS: This may be a problem if you live in a place where it rains constantly. It may not be able to reach the amount needed to work properly.
2. Bug Zapper Light Bulb with LED light bulb
View More Detail
- KILL PESKY BUGS IN YOUR HOME--Geekers bug zapper bulb baits pesky bugs and mosquitoes by the light and kills them on the spot by electricity. It works best against mosquitoes, house flies, fruit flies, mushroom flies, moths, clothes moths, bug gnats and more.
- TWO IN ONE FUNCTION-- It’s a powerful mosquito trap and bug zapper, also a bright LED light bulb at the same time.
- WIDE APPLICATION--The bug zapper light bulb can be used indoors or outdoors like a regular light bulb. Can be used in home, living room, deck, patio, porch, backyard, warehouse, garage, garden, park, kitchen, office, hotel, restaurant, school and so much more.
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT AND EASY TO CLEAN--This mosquito zapper uses very little energy while killing many mosquitoes. And the mosquito zapper bulb can be easily cleaned.
- NO POISONS OR HARMFUL CHEMICALS -- Geekers bug zapper bulb does not give out poisonous or dangerous chemicals. Making your family and pets safe from all that harmful chemicals.
- The bulb is like a regular bulb that needs a socket.
- Bodies and bodies of dead bugs on the floor below the bug zapper.
3. TESCCI - 20W Electronic Bug Zapper
Tescci’s 20W electronic bug zapper is a natural and effective pest control that Has Never Been Easier. If you are tired of fighting off flying insects and swatting flies. And chemical pest control is not only very expensive but can be dangerous for your health and your family's health as well.
Tescci’s 20W electronic bug zapper requires NO maintenance other than cleaning out the collection tray. Simply set it up and it will give you the peace of mind that you need, knowing that no harmful bug is going to come near you.
View More Detail
- NATURAL, CHEMICAL-FREE PEST CONTROL: Tescci’s 20W electronic bug zapper is the perfect chemical-free pest control alternative, it is safe to use in every place in the house.
- EFFECTIVE & LARGE AREA COVERAGE: Tescci’s 20W electronic bug zapper is a Mosquito killer, Fly Killer, Bug Killer. Can be very effective for a large area of up to 5,000 sq. feet!
- SAFE: Despite the powerful electrical grid, the Tescci’s 20W electronic bug zapper is safe for home and garden use. The grid is surrounded by a protective cage.
- The problem with this product will be the smell of dead bugs burning and it will be noisy if placed near you due to the buzzing sound it makes when killing your unwelcome guests.
4. Flowtron FC-8800 Diplomat Fly Control Device
The flowtron FC-8800 diplomat fly control device is also recommended for outdoor residential areas. Glow-tube, glo-panel reflector increases the maximum effort to catch and attract those pesky bugs.
Equipped with UltraViolet (UV) Lights as a bait, the most successful for baiting a wide range of flying unwelcomed bugs. It has a 360-degree protection for you and your loved ones.
View More Detail
- Controls those annoying bugs at night with a 2-acre radius
- Can be mounted vertically or horizontally
- Great for outdoor or commercial use. Can be placed near a dumpster or barn
- Easy to clean removable collection tray
- The flowtron FC-8800 diplomat fly control device takes quite a bit of electricity, since you will be using it 24/7. However, this bug zapping killing machine is one powerful machine. Another thing about the the flowtron FC-8800 diplomat fly control device is the transformers get really hot.
5. Identikitgift mosquito killer lamp
The Identikitgift mosquito killer lamp is a 4th generation bug zapper that is quiet and powerful enough to get rid of the unwanted guest that you hate to have around I'm talking about the pesky bug that eats your food and eventually you and your family. The Identikitgift mosquito killer lamp is a killer indeed. It is easily transportable and great to use.
View More Detail
- IdentikitGift mosquito killer lamp is powerful but noise free, it is safe for the family and pets with no electric noise or chemical ingredients.
- With the triple anti-escape apparatus, it is simple to clean out the dead bugs. So you don’t need to worry about the problems of cleaning which other bug zappers may have.
- IdentikitGift mosquito killer lamp is powered by only a USB so you can connect it with an adapter, power bank, computer or any device that has a USB port. It is easy to bring along with you and convenient to carry outdoor for your next trip or camping with the family.
- The IdentikitGift mosquito killer lamp is small for the whole house or garden.
- If you have a large yard, make sure to use more of them.
If I were to choose what would be the best bug zapper it would be the Kpest Solar-powered bug zapper. It is a great tool to be in your garden. Not only is it solar powered it also gives you the benefit of forgetting to turn it on and off. The Kpest Solar-powered bug zapper is the best bug zapper for me also because it is stylish and has a modern design to it. It will surely be great to look at while enjoying the beauty of your garden. The best bug zappers on this list will help you pick out what you need for your garden and for you to enjoy.
Did you find the post helpful? If yes, feel free to share this post with your friends and family. Leave your thoughts as well in the comment section below, and we will be very pleased to entertain you! Happy reading everyone!
Like this post?
Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. Share it with your friends, too!