5 Choices for the Best Fertilizer Spreader Review for 2017 Editon
Every homeowner wants the greenest grass on the street, whether they have a large or small lawn. Unfortunately, keeping the greenest grass in the neighborhood is a lot of work. You need to spread fertilizer and fix bare spots in the yard. To make your job easier, the best fertilizer spreader lightens the load.
Fertilizer is important for your grass because it gives your lawn the necessary nutrients to continue to grow and thrive. Fertilizer gives your lawn a boost aside from sunlight and frequent watering.
Product Comparison Table
For a quick glance of some of these products, consider this table:
The Types of Fertilizer Spreaders
There is three main type of spreaders on the market. Fertilizer spreaders can spread whatever you want. You can use it to spread grass seed, fertilizers, or even wheat!
These fertilizer spreaders have wheels and have a large capacity. You attach them to your ride-on lawn mower or ATV. It makes spreading fertilizer across a large property much easier. As the wheels turn, it activates the spreading mechanism. If you have a really large area where you need to lay down grass seed, a tow-behind spreader is the best choice.
Push Spreader/Walk-Behind Spreader
The next choice is more basic, but it does require you to push the spreader rather than pulling it along. A push spreader is basic, therefore costing less money. It operates close to how a tow-behind does, except it needs manually used. If you have a medium sized area to fertilizer, this choice is best. However, do make sure you are physically able to walk the area and feel comfortable using this machine.
For those who just need to fertilize a small area, a handheld spreadehandheld spreaderr is a great choice. You just have to turn a crank, and the fertilizer or seeds come out. If you need just to fill bare spots or have a rather tiny yard, a handheld spreader does the job without any fancy features.
Broadcast vs. Drop Spreaders
As you look at the choices, you will notice two models mentioned – broadcast and drop spreaders. There are a few differences that could matter for your decision.
- Broadcast spreaders make it easier for you to fertilizer over larger areas. The fertilizer falls into a revolving disc and is spread across your lawn. However, a broadcast spreader could throw fertilizer or seeds in all directions, even where you don’t want it. Some companies add a guard to prevent that. Some broadcast spreaders can spread the seed as far away as 8 feet. However, you do need to walk or drive at a steady pace to ensure you covered the area. You also need to spread on a non-windy day because it does affect the spread.
- Drop spreaders are more accurate in spreading fertilizer. It just drops right down onto the lawn. However, you do have to make more passes to cover all of the areas, and the passes have to align, so you don’t stripe your lawn. Drop spreaders do better around areas such as trees and shrubs. You can go around garden or flower beds much easier. Best of all, the wind doesn’t affect the spread.
What to Ask Yourself
It can be hard to make a final decision about the best type of fertilizer spreader. Here are some questions you can ask yourself. The answers will make the type of spreader you want more obvious to you.
- How large is the area that you are seeding? Larger areas require different types of fertilizer spreaders.
- Is it going to require more precise fertilizing or seeding?
- Do you have a lot of awkward angles or shrubs you need to work around?
- How much time do you want to spend fertilizing your lawn or garden?
Reviews of the Best Fertilizer Spreader
Let us now discuss the products that are considered to be best bets when it comes to fertilizer spreader. Here are some of the options for your quest to choosing the best fertilizer spreader. 2017.
#1. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
View More Detail
- If you are on a budget, the Scotts Wizz is inexpensive.
- Scotts added their standard EdgeGuard technology that prevents the fertilizer from spreading to other areas. It also has a Handy Lock feature.
- It is a versatile spreader, used for fertilizing, seeding, melting and more!
- Due to its nature, it does take a lot of physical activity to use a hand-held spreader.
- It can only cover 2,500 square feet.
#2. Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader
View More Detail
- It is lighter than other models on the market.
- It holds up to 5,000 square feet of lawn products.
- The price is affordable for everyone!
- You can use it as soon as you purchase it at the store.
- Scotts added their EdgeGuard technology that stops the spread of product in places you don’t want it to go.
- It isn’t meant for people who have large areas to spread fertilizer.
- You shouldn’t use it for heavy products or usage.
- The plastic wheels could potentially break.
#3. Agri-Fab 45-0462 Push Broadcast Spreader
View More Detail
- With 130 pounds of fertilizer, you can cover 25,000 square feet of lawn. It is ideal for people who have larger sized yards or property.
- Agri-Fab added durable and wider wheels, which makes it much easier to push through uneven or rough terrain.
- This spreader throws the seeds or fertilizer in area 10 to 12 feet in diameter. That provides fantastic coverage over your property!
- You can trust Agri-Fab. Their products are durable and meant to last for years to come. The frame is metal with a powder coat finish to ensure it doesn’t rust easily.
- The hopper is wide, making it easy to fill up!
- Because it weighs 35 pounds, it does take a bit of effort to push this fertilizer spreader around.
- It is more pricey than other options on the list. It wouldn’t be an ideal choice if you have a small property to cover.
- It will take you about an hour to put together. If you aren’t handy inclined, it could be a challenge.
#4. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
View More Detail
- Agri-Fab added larger wheels for added stability when traveling on rougher terrain.
- There is a 3-year warranty, which means you can trust the product.
- It has a 130-pound capacity.
- It holds enough lawn products to come 25,000 square feet of property!
- Controlling this spreader is easy. There is a rod for the on/off control.
- It comes with an enclosed gearbox.
- It is much more expensive than other choices.
- Assembly takes a long time. If you don’t put it together correctly, it won’t perform as well.
#5. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
Our last choice for the best fertilizer spreader is also by Scotts, a brand that you can trust. They make great quality tools for homeowners that will last for years to come. The Classic Drop Spreader is one of the most popular drop spreaders on the market. It is designed for lawns up to 10,000 square feet.
View More Detail
- Scotts used heavy duty materials to ensure stability and quality of the product.
- The fertilizer drops out from underneath the spreader through the chute that is 22 inches wide. It is wider than most drop spreaders, so you won’t have to do as many passes with your lawn.
- You can fill it with fertilizer or seeds easier because it is wider.
- The price is in the middle of the road. It isn’t the cheapest, but it is far from the most expensive choice!
- It is ideal if you have a lot of things to work around like garden beds or patios.
- It may need to be re-calibrated after you purchase it to ensure it is correct.
- The spreader gets clogged up easily if the materials aren’t fully dry.
Which is the Best Fertilizer Spreader?
While all of these fertilizer spreaders are a great choice, there is one that I think is the best, which is the Earthway Commercial Broadcast Spreader. Without a doubt, it will last you for years to come. It weighs less than other push spreaders, which is great if you have a huge area to cover. It can hold up to 50 pounds of seeds, and the wheels are wide for uneven terrain and stability.
Any of these choices could be the perfect choice for you. Remember to ask yourself those important questions before making a final decision. Do you have a favorite fertilizer spreader that you use? We would love to hear your pick in the comments.